Iterated Oscillation Criteria for Delay Dynamic Equations of First Order
© M. Bohner et al. 2008
Received: 9 June 2008
Accepted: 4 December 2008
Published: 17 December 2008
We obtain new sufficient conditions for the oscillation of all solutions of first-order delay dynamic equations on arbitrary time scales, hence combining and extending results for corresponding differential and difference equations. Examples, some of which coincide with well-known results on particular time scales, are provided to illustrate the applicability of our results.
Oscillation theory on and has drawn extensive attention in recent years. Most of the results on have corresponding results on and vice versa because there is a very close relation between and . This relation has been revealed by Hilger in , which unifies discrete and continuous analysis by a new theory called time scale theory.
where and , and it is called the exponential function and denoted by . Some useful properties of the exponential function can be found in [11, Theorem 2.36].
The setup of this paper is as follows: while we state and prove our main result in Section 2, we consider special cases of particular time scales in Section 3.
2. Main Results
The proof is an immediate consequence of Lemmas 2.1 and 2.2.
We need the following lemmas in the sequel.
Lemma 2.4 (see [7, Lemma 2]).
holds, then (2.1) is true.
The proof follows from Lemmas 2.1, 2.2, and 2.5.
which indicates that (2.26) is implied by (2.1).
3. Particular Time Scales
then every solution of (1.1) is oscillatory on . Note that (3.4) implies . Otherwise, we have for . This result for the differential equation (1.1) is a special case of Theorem 2.3 given in Section 2, and it is presented in [3, Theorem 1], [4, Corollary 1], and [5, Corollary 1].
Note that (3.8) implies that . Otherwise, we would have for . This result for the difference equation (1.3) is a special case of Theorem 2.3 given in Section 2, and a similar result has been presented in [6, Corollary 1].
is oscillatory on . Clearly, (3.14) ensures . This result for the -difference equation (3.15) is a special case of Theorem 2.3 given in Section 2, and it has not been presented in the literature thus far.
- Hilger S: Ein Maßkettenkalkül mit Anwendung auf Zentrumsmannigfaltigkeiten, Ph. D. thesis. Universität Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany; 1988.Google Scholar
- Győri I, Ladas G: Oscillation Theory of Delay Differential Equations with Applications, Oxford Mathematical Monographs. The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA; 1991:xii+368.Google Scholar
- Li B: Multiple integral average conditions for oscillation of delay differential equations. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1998, 219(1):165-178. 10.1006/jmaa.1997.5811MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Shen J, Tang X: New oscillation criteria for linear delay differential equations. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 1998, 36(6):53-61. 10.1016/S0898-1221(98)00161-8MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Tang X, Shen J: Oscillations of delay differential equations with variable coefficients. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1998, 217(1):32-42. 10.1006/jmaa.1997.5693MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Tang XH, Yu JS: Oscillation of delay difference equation. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 1999, 37(7):11-20. 10.1016/S0898-1221(99)00083-8MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M: Some oscillation criteria for first order delay dynamic equations. Far East Journal of Applied Mathematics 2005, 18(3):289-304.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Zhang BG, Deng X: Oscillation of delay differential equations on time scales. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 2002, 36(11-13):1307-1318. 10.1016/S0895-7177(02)00278-9MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Agarwal R, Bohner M: An oscillation criterion for first order dynamic equations. to appear in Functional Differential Equations
- Şahiner Y, Stavroulakis IP: Oscillations of first order delay dynamic equations. Dynamic Systems and Applications 2006, 15(3-4):645-655.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterson A: Dynamic Equations on Time Scales: An Introduction with Application. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2001:x+358.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterso A (Eds): Advances in Dynamic Equations on Time Scales. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2003:xii+348.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Akin-Bohner E, Bohner M, Akın F: Pachpatte inequalities on time scales. Journal of Inequalities in Pure and Applied Mathematics 2005, 6(1, article 6):1-23.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.