- Open Access
Sums of products of the degenerate Euler numbers
© Wu and Pan; licensee Springer. 2014
- Received: 2 October 2013
- Accepted: 8 January 2014
- Published: 27 January 2014
The paper focuses on the degenerate Euler numbers, the degenerate Euler polynomials and the degenerate Bernoulli polynomials. By adopting the method of recurrences, two explicit expressions have been established for sums of products of the degenerate Euler polynomials and the degenerate Bernoulli polynomials. As a special case of the degenerate Euler polynomials, an expression can be obtained for .
MSC:11B68, 11B65, 11B73.
- degenerate Euler number
- degenerate Euler polynomial
- degenerate Bernoulli polynomial
for any .
and are the Stirling numbers of the first kind (see, e.g., ). Furthermore, Dilcher also extended (1.2) to the Bernoulli polynomials.
In , Wang obtained an explicit expression for sums of products of l Bernoulli polynomials and Euler polynomials.
In particular, here we set .
In fact, we shall prove a polynomial extension of (1.6) in the next section. In the third section, we also establish a generalization of (1.4) for the degenerate Bernoulli polynomial (see, e.g., ).
Note that . So (1.6) is evidently a consequence of the following theorem.
This concludes our proof. □
Thus (2.1) immediately follows from (2.3).
In this section, we shall give a generalization of (3.1) for .
In particular, we set .
All proofs thus are done. □
The authors are grateful to two anonymous referees for their helpful suggestions. The second author is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No.11271185). The second author is the corresponding author.
- Dilcher K: Sums of products of Bernoulli numbers. J. Number Theory 1996, 60: 23-41. 10.1006/jnth.1996.0110MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Comtet L: Advanced Combinatorics. Reidel, Dordrecht; 1974.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Carlitz L: Degenerate Stirling, Bernoulli and Eulerian numbers. Util. Math. 1979, 15(1):51-88.Google Scholar
- Carlitz L: A generate Staudt-Clausen theorem. Arch. Math. 1956, 7(1):28-33. 10.1007/BF01900520View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Howard FT: Explicit formulas for degenerate Bernoulli numbers. Discrete Math. 1996, 162: 175-185. 10.1016/0012-365X(95)00284-4MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Shirai S: Some identities involving Bernoulli and Stirling numbers. J. Number Theory 2001, 90: 130-142. 10.1006/jnth.2001.2659MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Young PT: Congruences for degenerate number sequences. Discrete Math. 2003, 270: 279-289. 10.1016/S0012-365X(02)00839-7MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Young PT: Degenerate Bernoulli polynomials, generalized factorial sums, and their applications. J. Number Theory 2008, 128: 738-758. 10.1016/j.jnt.2007.02.007MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wu M, Pan H: Sums of products of Bernoulli numbers of the second kind. Fibonacci Q. 2007, 45: 146-150.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Fu AM, Zhang IF: Inverse relations and the products of Bernoulli polynomials. Graphs Comb. 2010, 26: 361-367. 10.1007/s00373-010-0947-4MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Z, Yang J: On sums of products of the degenerate Bernoulli numbers. Integral Transforms Spec. Funct. 2009, 20(10):751-755. 10.1080/10652460902794060MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang W: Some results on sums of products of Bernoulli polynomials and Euler polynomials. Ramanujan J. 2013, 32: 159-184. 10.1007/s11139-012-9447-xMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.