- Research Article
- Open Access
© Fang Li et al. 2011
- Received: 21 October 2010
- Accepted: 13 December 2010
- Published: 20 December 2010
- Differential Equation
- Partial Differential Equation
- Ordinary Differential Equation
- Functional Analysis
- Cauchy Problem
In 1987, Arendt  studied the -times integrated semigroups, which are more general than semigroups (there exist many operators that generate -times integrated semigroups but not semigroups).
In recent years, the -times integrated -regularized semigroups have received much attention because they can be used to deal with ill-posed abstract Cauchy problems and characterize the "weak" well-posedness of many important differential equations (cf., e.g., [2–18]).
Stimulated by the works in [2, 5–7, 9, 12–18], in this paper, we present a generation theorem of the -times integrated -regularized semigroups for the case that the domain of generator and the range of regularizing operator are not necessarily dense, and prove that the subgenerator of an exponentially bounded, differentiable -times integrated -regularized semigroup is also a subgenerator of a singular -times integrated -regularized semigroup.
Throughout this paper, is a Banach space; denotes the dual space of ; denotes the space of all linear and bounded operators from to , it will be abbreviated to ; denotes the dual space of . By we denote the space of all continuously differentiable -valued functions on . is the space of all continuous -valued functions on .
Lemma 1.2 (see [10, Lemma 3.2]).
Let , be constants, and let be a closed operator satisfying . Assume that is the nonnegative measurable function on . A necessary and sufficient condition for is the subgenerator of an -times integrated -semigroup satisfying
Assertion (i) is an immediate consequence of (2.11) and (A1).
If and , then is an integrated semigroup in the sense of Bobrowski .
and the proof is completed.
This completes the proof of (1).
The authors are grateful to the referees for their valuable suggestions. This work is supported by the NSF of Yunnan Province (2009ZC054M).
- Arendt W: Vector-valued Laplace transforms and Cauchy problems. Israel Journal of Mathematics 1987,59(3):327-352. 10.1007/BF02774144MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bobrowski A: On the generation of non-continuous semigroups. Semigroup Forum 1997,54(2):237-252.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li Y-C, Shaw S-Y:On local -times integrated -semigroups. Abstract and Applied Analysis 2007, 2007:-18.Google Scholar
- Li Y-C, Shaw S-Y:On characterization and perturbation of local -semigroups. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 2007,135(4):1097-1106. 10.1090/S0002-9939-06-08549-2MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Liang J, Xiao T-J: Integrated semigroups and higher order abstract equations. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1998,222(1):110-125. 10.1006/jmaa.1997.5909MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Liang J, Xiao T-J: Wellposedness results for certain classes of higher order abstract Cauchy problems connected with integrated semigroups. Semigroup Forum 1998,56(1):84-103. 10.1007/s00233-002-7007-1MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Liang J, Xiao T-J:Norm continuity for of linear operator families. Chinese Science Bulletin 1998,43(9):719-723. 10.1007/BF02898945MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Nagaoka K: Generation of the integrated semigroups by superelliptic differential operators. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2008,341(2):1143-1154. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2007.10.045MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Tanaka N: Locally Lipschitz continuous integrated semigroups. Studia Mathematica 2005,167(1):1-16. 10.4064/sm167-1-1MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Thieme HR: "Integrated semigroups" and integrated solutions to abstract Cauchy problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1990,152(2):416-447. 10.1016/0022-247X(90)90074-PMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Thieme HR: Differentiability of convolutions, integrated semigroups of bounded semi-variation, and the inhomogeneous Cauchy problem. Journal of Evolution Equations 2008,8(2):283-305. 10.1007/s00028-007-0355-2MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: Integrated semigroups, cosine families and higher order abstract Cauchy problems. In Functional Analysis in China, Mathematics and Its Applications. Volume 356. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; 1996:351-365.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: Widder-Arendt theorem and integrated semigroups in locally convex space. Science in China. Series A 1996,39(11):1121-1130.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: Laplace transforms and integrated, regularized semigroups in locally convex spaces. Journal of Functional Analysis 1997,148(2):448-479. 10.1006/jfan.1996.3096MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: The Cauchy Problem for Higher-Order Abstract Differential Equations, Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Volume 1701. Springer, Berlin, Germany; 1998:xii+301.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: Approximations of Laplace transforms and integrated semigroups. Journal of Functional Analysis 2000,172(1):202-220. 10.1006/jfan.1999.3545MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: Higher order abstract Cauchy problems: their existence and uniqueness families. Journal of the London Mathematical Society 2003,67(1):149-164. 10.1112/S0024610702003794MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xiao T-J, Liang J: Second order differential operators with Feller-Wentzell type boundary conditions. Journal of Functional Analysis 2008,254(6):1467-1486. 10.1016/j.jfa.2007.12.012MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.