Monotone Iterative Technique for First-Order Nonlinear Periodic Boundary Value Problems on Time Scales
© Ya-Hong Zhao and Jian-Ping Sun. 2010
Received: 12 February 2010
Accepted: 26 June 2010
Published: 13 July 2010
Recently, periodic boundary value problems (PBVPs for short) for dynamic equations on time scales have been studied by several authors by using the method of lower and upper solutions, fixed point theorems, and the theory of fixed point index. We refer the reader to [1–10] for some recent results.
where will be defined in Section 2, is a time scale, is fixed and . For each interval of we denote by By applying the monotone iterative technique, we obtain not only the existence of positive solution for the PBVP (1.1), but also give an iterative scheme, which approximates the solution. It is worth mentioning that the initial term of our iterative scheme is a constant function, which implies that the iterative scheme is significant and feasible. For abstract monotone iterative technique, see  and the references therein.
2. Some Results on Time Scales
In this definition we put and where denotes the empty set If we say that is right scattered, while if we say that is left scattered. Also, if and then is called right dense, and if and then is called left dense. We also need below the set which is derived from the time scale as follows. If has a left-scattered maximum then Otherwise,
A function is called rd-continuous provided that it is continuous at right-dense points in and its left-sided limits exist at left-dense points in The set of rd-continuous functions will be denoted by
Lemma 2.4 (see ).
Lemma 2.5 (see ).
Lemma 2.12 (see ).
Lemma 2.13 (see ).
3. Main Results
For the forthcoming analysis, we assume that the following two conditions are satisfied.
This shows that . Furthermore, with similar arguments as in , we can prove that is completely continuous by Arzela-Ascoli theorem.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (10801068).
- Cabada A: Extremal solutions and Green's functions of higher order periodic boundary value problems in time scales. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004,290(1):35-54. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2003.08.018MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Dai Q, Tisdell CC: Existence of solutions to first-order dynamic boundary value problems. International Journal of Difference Equations 2006,1(1):1-17.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Eloe PW: The method of quasilinearization and dynamic equations on compact measure chains. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 2002,141(1-2):159-167. 10.1016/S0377-0427(01)00443-5MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Topal SG: Second-order periodic boundary value problems on time scales. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2004,48(3-4):637-648. 10.1016/j.camwa.2002.04.005MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Stehlík P: Periodic boundary value problems on time scales. Advances in Difference Equations 2005, 1: 81-92. 10.1155/ADE.2005.81MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun J-P, Li W-T: Positive solution for system of nonlinear first-order PBVPs on time scales. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2005,62(1):131-139. 10.1016/j.na.2005.03.016MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun J-P, Li W-T: Existence of solutions to nonlinear first-order PBVPs on time scales. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2007,67(3):883-888. 10.1016/j.na.2006.06.046MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun J-P, Li W-T: Existence and multiplicity of positive solutions to nonlinear first-order PBVPs on time scales. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2007,54(6):861-871. 10.1016/j.camwa.2007.03.009MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun J-P, Li W-T: Positive solutions to nonlinear first-order PBVPs with parameter on time scales. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,70(3):1133-1145. 10.1016/j.na.2008.02.007MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wu S-T, Tsai L-Y: Periodic solutions for dynamic equations on time scales. Tamkang Journal of Mathematics 2009,40(2):173-191.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ahmad B, Nieto JJ:The monotone iterative technique for three-point second-order integrodifferential boundary value problems with -Laplacian. Boundary Value Problems 2007, 2007:-9.Google Scholar
- Agarwal RP, Bohner M: Basic calculus on time scales and some of its applications. Results in Mathematics 1999,35(1-2):3-22.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterson A: Dynamic Equations on Time Scales: An Introduction with Applications. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2001:x+358.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hilger S: Analysis on measure chains—a unified approach to continuous and discrete calculus. Results in Mathematics 1990,18(1-2):18-56.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kaymakcalan B, Lakshmikantham V, Sivasundaram S: Dynamic Systems on Measure Chains, Mathematics and Its Applications. Volume 370. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA; 1996:x+285.MATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.