Stabilities of Cubic Mappings in Fuzzy Normed Spaces
© A. Ghaffari and A. Alinejad. 2010
Received: 15 January 2010
Accepted: 11 May 2010
Published: 9 June 2010
Rassias(2001) introduced the pioneering cubic functional equation in the history of mathematical analysis: and solved the pertinent famous Ulam stability problem for this inspiring equation. This Rassias cubic functional equation was the historic transition from the following famous Euler-Lagrange-Rassias quadratic functional equation: to the cubic functional equations. In this paper, we prove the Ulam-Hyers stability of the cubic functional equation: in fuzzy normed linear spaces. We use the definition of fuzzy normed linear spaces to establish a fuzzy version of a generalized Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability for above equation in the fuzzy normed linear space setting. The fuzzy sequentially continuity of the cubic mappings is discussed.
Studies on fuzzy normed linear spaces are relatively recent in the field of fuzzy functional analysis. The notion of fuzzyness has a wide application in many areas of science. In 1984, Katsaras  first introduced a definition of fuzzy norm on a linear space. Later, several notions of fuzzy norm have been introduced and discussed from different points of view [2, 3]. Concepts of sectional fuzzy continuous mappings and strong uniformly convex fuzzy normed linear spaces have been introduced by Bag and Samanta . Bag and Samanta  introduced a notion of boundedness of a linear operator between fuzzy normed spaces, and studied the relation between fuzzy continuity and fuzzy boundedness. They studied boundedness of linear operators over fuzzy normed linear spaces such as fuzzy continuity, sequential fuzzy continuity, weakly fuzzy continuity and strongly fuzzy continuity.
In 2008, J. M. Rassias  generalized even further the above two stabilities via a new stability involving a mixed product-sum of powers of norms, called JMRassias stability by several authors [27–30].
In the last two decades, several form of mixed type functional equation and its Ulam–Hyers stability are dealt in various spaces like Fuzzy normed spaces, Random normed spaces, Quasi–Banach spaces, Quasinormed linear spaces and Banach algebra by various authors like [31–40].
In 1994, Cheng and Mordeson  introduced an idea of a fuzzy norm on a linear space whose associated metric is Kramosil and Michálek type . Since then some mathematicians have defined fuzzy metrics and norms on a linear space from various points of view [42–44].
to the cubic functional equation (*).
and investigated the generalized Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability for this equation on abelian groups. They also obtained results in sense of Hyers-Ulam stability and Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability. A number of results concerning the stability of different functional equations can be found in [23, 56–59].
In this paper, we prove the Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability of the cubic functional equation (1.5) in fuzzy normed spaces. Later, we will show that there exists a close relationship between the fuzzy sequentially continuity behavior of a cubic function, control function and the unique cubic mapping which approximates the cubic map.
2. Notation and Preliminary Results
In this section some definitions and preliminary results are given which will be used in this paper. Following , we give the following notion of a fuzzy norm.
Note that the fuzzy normed linear space is exactly a Menger probabilistic normed linear space where .
Recall that, a sequence in is called Cauchy if for every and , there exists a positive integer such that for all and all , we have . It is known that every convergent sequence in a fuzzy normed space is Cauchy. The fuzzy normed space is said to be fuzzy Banach space if every Cauchy sequence in is convergent to a point in .
3. Main Results
We will investigate the generalized Hyers-Ulam type theorem of the functional equation (1.5) in fuzzy normed spaces. In the following theorem, we will show that under special circumstances on the control function , every -almost cubic mapping can be approximated by a cubic mapping .
We have the following two cases.
From Theorem 3.1, we obtain the following corollary concerning the stability of (1.5) in the sense of the JMRassias stability of functional equations controlled by the mixed product-sum of powers of norms introduced by J. M. Rassias  and called JMRassias stability by several authors [27–30].
Let be a mapping where and are fuzzy normed spaces. is said to be sequentially fuzzy continuous at if for any satisfying implies . If is sequentially fuzzy continuous at each point of , then is said to be sequentially fuzzy continuous on .
For the various definitions of continuity and also defining a topology on a fuzzy normed space we refer the interested reader to [61, 62]. Now we examine some conditions under which the cubic mapping found in Theorem 3.1 to be continuous. In the following theorem, we investigate fuzzy sequentially continuity of cubic mappings in fuzzy normed spaces. Indeed, we will show that under some extra conditions on Theorem 3.1, the cubic mapping is fuzzy sequentially continuous.
Denote the fuzzy norm obtained as Corollary 3.3 on . Suppose that conditions of Theorem 3.1 hold. If for every the mappings (from into and (from into are sequentially fuzzy continuous, then the mapping is sequentially continuous and for all .
We have the following case.
It is not hard to see that for every rational number . Since is a fuzzy sequentially continuous map, by the same reasoning as the proof of , the cubic function satisfies for every .
The following corollary is the Hyers-Ulam stability  of (1.5).
The second author would like to thank the office of gifted students at the Semnan university for financial support.
- Katsaras AK: Fuzzy topological vector spaces. II. Fuzzy Sets and Systems 1984,12(2):143-154. 10.1016/0165-0114(84)90034-4MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Cheng SC, Mordeson JN: Fuzzy linear operators and fuzzy normed linear spaces. Bulletin of the Calcutta Mathematical Society 1994,86(5):429-436.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Chitra A, Subrahmanyam PV: Fuzzy sets and fixed points. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1987,124(2):584-590. 10.1016/0022-247X(87)90016-3MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bag T, Samanta SK: Finite dimensional fuzzy normed linear spaces. Journal of Fuzzy Mathematics 2003,11(3):687-705.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Bag T, Samanta SK: Fuzzy bounded linear operators. Fuzzy Sets and Systems 2005,151(3):513-547. 10.1016/j.fss.2004.05.004MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ulam SM: Problems in Modern Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 1964:xvii+150. chapter VIMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH: On the stability of the linear functional equation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1941, 27: 222-224. 10.1073/pnas.27.4.222MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Aoki T: On the stability of the linear transformation in Banach spaces. Journal of the Mathematical Society of Japan 1950, 2: 64-66. 10.2969/jmsj/00210064MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias TM: On the stability of the linear mapping in Banach spaces. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1978,72(2):297-300. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1978-0507327-1MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM: On approximation of approximately linear mappings by linear mappings. Journal of Functional Analysis 1982,46(1):126-130. 10.1016/0022-1236(82)90048-9MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kim H-M, Rassias JM, Cho Y-S: Stability problem of Ulam for Euler-Lagrange quadratic mappings. Journal of Inequalities and Applications 2007, 2007:-15.Google Scholar
- Rassias JM: Complete solution of the multi-dimensional problem of Ulam. Discussiones Mathematicae 1994, 14: 101-107.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Pietrzyk A: Stability of the Euler-Lagrange-Rassias functional equation. Demonstratio Mathematica 2006,39(3):523-530.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Lee Y-S, Chung S-Y: Stability of an Euler-Lagrange-Rassias equation in the spaces of generalized functions. Applied Mathematics Letters 2008,21(7):694-700. 10.1016/j.aml.2007.07.022MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM, Rassias MJ: On some approximately quadratic mappings being exactly quadratic. The Journal of the Indian Mathematical Society 2002,69(1–4):155-160.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Park C, Rassias JM: Stability of the Jensen-type functional equation in -algebras: a fixed point approach. Abstract and Applied Analysis 2009, 2009:-17.Google Scholar
- Gordji ME, Rassias JM, Ghobadipour N: Generalized Hyers-Ulam stability of generalized (N,K)-derivations. Abstract and Applied Analysis 2009, 2009:-8.Google Scholar
- Gordji ME, Gharetapeh SK, Rassias JM, Zolfaghari S: Solution and stability of a mixed type additive, quadratic, and cubic functional equation. Advances in Difference Equations 2009, 2009:-17.Google Scholar
- Gordji ME, Rassias JM, Savadkouhi MB: Approximation of the quadratic and cubic functional equations in RN-spaces. European Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics 2009,2(4):494-507.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM: Solution of the Ulam stability problem for quartic mappings. Glasnik Matematički. Serija III 1999,34(54)(2):243-252.Google Scholar
- Bouikhalene B, Elqorachi E, Rassias JM: The superstability of d'Alembert's functional equation on the Heisenberg group. Applied Mathematics Letters 2010,23(1):105-109. 10.1016/j.aml.2009.08.013MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Savadkouhi MB, Gordji ME, Rassias JM, Ghobadipour N: Approximate ternary Jordan derivations on Banach ternary algebras. Journal of Mathematical Physics 2009,50(4):-9.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM: Solution of a stability problem of Ulam. Discussiones Mathematicae 1992, 12: 95-103.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Rassias MJ, Rassias JM: On the Ulam stability for Euler-Lagrange type quadratic functional equations. The Australian Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2005,2(1):1-10.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM, Rassias MJ: On the Ulam stability of Jensen and Jensen type mappings on restricted domains. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2003,281(2):516-524. 10.1016/S0022-247X(03)00136-7MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ravi K, Arunkumar M, Rassias JM: Ulam stability for the orthogonally general Euler-Lagrange type functional equation. International Journal of Mathematics and Statistics 2008,3(8):36-46.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Gordji ME, Zolfaghari S, Rassias JM, Savadkouhi MB: Solution and stability of a mixed type cubic and quartic functional equation in quasi-Banach spaces. Abstract and Applied Analysis 2009, 2009:-14.Google Scholar
- Gordji ME, Khodaei H: On the generalized Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability of quadratic functional equations. Abstract and Applied Analysis 2009, 2009:-11.Google Scholar
- Cao H-X, Lv J-R, Rassias JM: Superstability for generalized module left derivations and generalized module derivations on a Banach module (I). Journal of Inequalities and Applications 2009, 2009:-10.Google Scholar
- Cao H-X, Lv J-R, Rassias JM: Superstability for generalized module left derivations and generalized module derivations on a Banach module (II). Journal of Inequalities in Pure and Applied Mathematics 2009,10(3, article 85):1-8.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Gavruta P: An answer to a question of John M. Rassias concerning the stability of Cauchy equation. Advances in Equations and Inequalities, Hadronic Mathematic Series 1999, 67-71.Google Scholar
- Nakmahachalasint P: On the generalized Ulam-Gavruta-Rassias stability of mixed-type linear and Euler-Lagrange-Rassias functional equations. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 2007, 2007:-10.Google Scholar
- Jun K-W, Kim H-M, Rassias JM: Extended Hyers-Ulam stability for Cauchy-Jensen mappings. Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 2007,13(12):1139-1153. 10.1080/10236190701464590MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Faĭziev V, Rassias JM: Stability of generalized additive equations on Banach spaces and groups. Journal of Nonlinear Functional Analysis and Differential Equations 2007,1(2):153-173.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM, Lee J, Kim HM: Refined Hyers-Ulam stability for Jensen type mappings. Journal of the Chungcheong Mathematical Society 2009,22(1):101-116.Google Scholar
- Ravi K, Arunkumar M: On the Ulam-Gavruta-Rassias stability of the orthogonally Euler-Lagrange type functional equation. International Journal of Applied Mathematics & Statistics 2007,7(7):143-156.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Nakmahachalasint P: Hyers-Ulam-Rassias and Ulam-Gavruta-Rassias stabilities of an additive functional equation in several variables. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 2007, 2007:-6.Google Scholar
- SiBaha MAit, Bouikhalene B, Elqorachi E: Ulam-Gavruta-Rassias stability of a linear functional equation. International Journal of Applied Mathematics & Statistics 2007,7(7):157-166.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Belaid B, Elqorachi E: Ulam-G\u avruta-Rassias stability of the Pexider functional equation. International Journal of Applied Mathematics & Statistics 2007,7(7):27-39.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Ravi K, Rassias JM, Arunkumar M, Kodandan R: Stability of a generalized mixed type additive, quadratic, cubic and quartic functional equation. Journal of Inequalities in Pure and Applied Mathematics 2009,10(4, article 114):1-29.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Kramosil I, Michálek J: Fuzzy metrics and statistical metric spaces. Kybernetika 1975,11(5):336-344.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Felbin C: Finite-dimensional fuzzy normed linear space. Fuzzy Sets and Systems 1992,48(2):239-248. 10.1016/0165-0114(92)90338-5MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Subrahmanyam PV: A common fixed point theorem in fuzzy metric spaces. Information Sciences 1995,83(3-4):109-112. 10.1016/0020-0255(94)00043-BMATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Xiao J, Zhu X: Topological degree theory and fixed point theorems in fuzzy normed space. Fuzzy Sets and Systems 2004,147(3):437-452. 10.1016/j.fss.2004.01.003MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM: Solution of the Ulam stability problem for cubic mappings. Glasnik Matematički. Serija III 2001,36(56)(1):63-72.Google Scholar
- Mirmostafaee AK, Moslehian MS: Fuzzy approximately cubic mappings. Information Sciences 2008,178(19):3791-3798. 10.1016/j.ins.2008.05.032MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mirmostafaee AK, Moslehian MS: Fuzzy versions of Hyers-Ulam-Rassias theorem. Fuzzy Sets and Systems 2008,159(6):720-729. 10.1016/j.fss.2007.09.016MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mirmostafaee AK, Mirzavaziri M, Moslehian MS: Fuzzy stability of the Jensen functional equation. Fuzzy Sets and Systems 2008,159(6):730-738. 10.1016/j.fss.2007.07.011MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wiwatwanich A, Nakmahachalasint P: On the stability of a cubic functional equation. Thai Journal of Mathematics 2008,6(3):69-76.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Eshaghi Gordji M, Bavand Savadkouhi M: Stability of mixed type cubic and quartic functional equations in random normed spaces. Journal of Inequalities and Applications 2009, 2009:-9.Google Scholar
- Jung S-M: Hyers-Ulam-Rassias Stability of Functional Equations in Mathematical Analysis. Hadronic Press, Palm Harbor, Fla, USA; 2001:ix+256.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Moslehian MS, Sadeghi G: Stability of two types of cubic functional equations in non-Archimedean spaces. Real Analysis Exchange 2008,33(2):375-383.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Eshaghi M, Kaboli-Gheretapeh S, Moslehian MS, Zolfaghari S: Stability of a mixed type additive, quadratic, cubic and quartic functional equation. In Nonlinear Analysis and Variational Problems, Springer Optimization and Its Applications, 35. Edited by: Pardalos PM, Rassias TM, Khan AA. Springer, Berlin, Germany; 2009.Google Scholar
- Rassias TM (Ed): Functional Equations and Inequalities, Mathematics and Its Applications. Volume 518. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; 2000:xii+336.Google Scholar
- Park K-H, Jung Y-S: Stability of a cubic functional equation on groups. Bulletin of the Korean Mathematical Society 2004,41(2):347-357. 10.4134/BKMS.2004.41.2.347MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM: On the stability of the Euler-Lagrange functional equation. Chinese Journal of Mathematics 1992,20(2):185-190.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM, Rassias MJ: Asymptotic behavior of alternative Jensen and Jensen type functional equations. Bulletin des Sciences Mathématiques 2005,129(7):545-558. 10.1016/j.bulsci.2005.02.001MATHView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rassias JM, Kim H-M: Approximate homomorphisms and derivations between -ternary algebras. Journal of Mathematical Physics 2008,49(6):-10.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Park C, Rassias JM: Stability of the Jensen-type functional equation in -algebras: a fixed point approach. Abstract and Applied Analysis 2009, 2009:-17.Google Scholar
- Ghaffari A, Alinejad A, Eshaghi Gordji M: On the stability of general cubic-quartic functional equations in Menger probabilistic normed spaces. Journal of Mathematical Physics 2009,50(12):-7.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bag T, Samanta SK: Product fuzzy normed linear spaces. Journal of Fuzzy Mathematics 2005,13(3):545-565.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Bag T, Samanta SK: Fixed point theorems on fuzzy normed linear spaces. Information Sciences 2006,176(19):2910-2931. 10.1016/j.ins.2005.07.013MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.