Oscillation of Second-Order Sublinear Dynamic Equations with Damping on Isolated Time Scales
© Q. Lin and B. Jia. 2010
Received: 8 October 2010
Accepted: 27 December 2010
Published: 30 December 2010
This paper concerns the oscillation of solutions to the second sublinear dynamic equation with damping , on an isolated time scale which is unbounded above. In , α is the quotient of odd positive integers. As an application, we get the difference equation , where , , and is any real number, is oscillatory.
During the past years, there has been an increasing interest in studying the oscillation of solution of second-order damped dynamic equations on time scale which attempts to harmonize the oscillation theory for continuousness and discreteness, to include them in one comprehensive theory, and to eliminate obscurity from both. We refer the readers to the papers [1–4] and the references cited therein.
In , under the assumption of being an isolated time scale, we prove that, when is allowed to take on negative values, is sufficient for the oscillation of the dynamic equation (1.3). As an application, we get that, when is allowed to take on negative values, is sufficient for the oscillation of the dynamic equation (1.4), which improves a result of Hooker and Patula [7, Theorem 4.1] and Mingarelli .
Note that if , then the delta derivative is just the standard derivative, and when the delta derivative is just the forward difference operator. Hence, our results contain the discrete and continuous cases as special cases and generalize these results to arbitrary time scales (e.g., the time scale which is very important in quantum theory ).
We will need the following second mean value theorem (see [10, Theorem 5.45]).
Lemmas 2.2 and 2.4 give two lower bounds of definite integrals on time scale, respectively.
3. Main Theorem
Then, (1.1) is oscillatory.
is sufficient for the oscillation of the difference equation (1.4).
then (1.4) is oscillatory.
Then, the differential equation (3.16) is oscillatory.
So from Theorem 3.3, (3.23) is oscillatory.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 10971232).
- Bohner M, Saker SH: Oscillation of damped second order nonlinear delay differential equations of Emden-Fowler type. Advances in Dynamical Systems and Applications 2006,1(2):163-182.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Han Z, Chen W, Sun S, Li T: Oscillation behavior of a class of second-order dynamic equations with damping on time scales. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society 2010, 2010:-15.Google Scholar
- Erbe L, Hassan TS, Peterson A: Oscillation criteria for nonlinear damped dynamic equations on time scales. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2008,203(1):343-357. 10.1016/j.amc.2008.04.038MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Saker SH, Agarwal RP, O'Regan D: Oscillation of second-order damped dynamic equations on time scales. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007,330(2):1317-1337. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2006.06.103MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Erbe L, Peterson A: Oscillation for nonlinear second order dynamic equations on a time scale. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2005,301(2):491-507. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.07.038MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Erbe L, Baoguo J, Peterson A: Belohorec-type oscillation theorem for second ordersuperlinear dynamic equation on time scales. Mathematische Nachrichten. In pressGoogle Scholar
- Hooker JW, Patula WT: A second-order nonlinear difference equation: oscillation and asymptotic behavior. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1983,91(1):9-29. 10.1016/0022-247X(83)90088-4MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mingarelli AB: Volterra-Stieltjes integral equations and generalized differential equations, Ph.D. thesis. University of Toronto; 1983.Google Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterson A: Dynamic Equation on Time Scales: An Introduction with Applications. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2001:x+358.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterson A (Eds): Advances in Dynamic Equations on Time Scales. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2003:xii+348.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Kac V, Cheung P: Quantum Calculus. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 2002:x+112.MATHView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Baoguo J, Erbe L, Peterson A: Oscillation of sublinear Emden-Fowler dynamic equations on time scales. Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 2010,16(2-3):217-226. 10.1080/10236190802631881MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.