- Research Article
- Open Access
A Functional Inequality in Restricted Domains of Banach Modules
© M.B. Moghimi et al. 2009
Received: 28 April 2009
Accepted: 16 August 2009
Published: 8 October 2009
1. Introduction and Preliminaries
The following question concerning the stability of group homomorphisms was posed by Ulam : Under what conditions does there exist a group homomorphism near an approximate group homomorphism?
Hyers  considered the case of approximately additive mappings , where and are Banach spaces and satisfiesHyers inequality
In 1950, Aoki  provided a generalization of the Hyers' theorem for additive mappings and in 1978, Rassias  generalized the Hyers' theorem for linear mappings by allowing the Cauchy difference to be unbounded (see also ). The result of Rassias' theorem has been generalized by Forti [6, 7] and G vruta  who permitted the Cauchy difference to be bounded by a general control function. During the last three decades a number of papers have been published on the generalized Hyers-Ulam stability to a number of functional equations and mappings (see [9–23]). We also refer the readers to the books [24–28].
Throughout this paper, let be a unital -algebra with unitary group , unit and norm . Assume that is a left -module and is a left Banach -module. An additive mapping is called -linear if for all and all . In this paper, we investigate the stability problem for the following functional inequality:
2. Solutions of the Functional Inequality (1.2)
3. Generalized Hyers-Ulam Stability of (1.2) on a Restricted Domain
In this section, we investigate the stability problem for -linear mappings associated to the functional inequality (1.2) on a restricted domain. For convenience, we use the following abbreviation for a given function and
Hence is additive. Since for all , we have from (3.22) that for all and all Letting , we get . Therefore for all and all This proves that is -linear. Also, satisfies inequality (3.19) for all with , by the definition of .
For the case we use the Gajda's example  to give the following counterexample.
which contradicts (3.48).
The third author was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (NRF-2009-0070788). The authors would like to thank the referees for a number of valuable suggestions regarding a previous version of this paper.
- Ulam SM: A Collection of the Mathematical Problems. Interscience, New York, NY, USA; 1960.Google Scholar
- Hyers DH: On the stability of the linear functional equation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 1941, 27: 222-224. 10.1073/pnas.27.4.222MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Aoki T: On the stability of the linear transformation in Banach spaces. Journal of the Mathematical Society of Japan 1950, 2: 64-66. 10.2969/jmsj/00210064MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: On the stability of the linear mapping in Banach spaces. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1978, 72: 297-300. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1978-0507327-1MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bourgin DG: Classes of transformations and bordering transformations. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 1951, 57: 223-237. 10.1090/S0002-9904-1951-09511-7MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Forti GL: An existence and stability theorem for a class of functional equations. Stochastica 1980, 4: 23-30. 10.1080/17442508008833155MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Forti GL: Hyers-Ulam stability of functional equations in several variables. Aequationes Mathematicae 1995,50(1-2):143-190. 10.1007/BF01831117MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Gavruta P: A generalization of the Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability of approximately additive mappings. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1994,184(3):431-436. 10.1006/jmaa.1994.1211MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Cholewa PW: Remarks on the stability of functional equations. Aequationes Mathematicae 1984,27(1):76-86. 10.1007/BF02192660MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Czerwik S: On the stability of the quadratic mapping in normed spaces. Abhandlungen aus dem Mathematischen Seminar der Universität Hamburg 1992,62(1):59-64. 10.1007/BF02941618MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Faiziev VA, Rassias ThM, Sahoo PK:The space of -additive mappings on semigroups. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 2002,354(11):4455-4472. 10.1090/S0002-9947-02-03036-2MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Grabiec A: The generalized Hyers-Ulam stability of a class of functional equations. Publicationes Mathematicae Debrecen 1996,48(3-4):217-235.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH, Rassias ThM: Approximate homomorphisms. Aequationes Mathematicae 1992,44(2-3):125-153. 10.1007/BF01830975MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Isac G, Rassias ThM:Stability of -additive mappings: applications to nonlinear analysis. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 1996, 19: 219-228. 10.1155/S0161171296000324MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jun K-W, Lee Y-H: On the Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability of a pexiderized quadratic inequality. Mathematical Inequalities and Applications 2001,4(1):93-118.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kannappan Pl: Quadratic functional equation and inner product spaces. Results in Mathematics 1995, 27: 368-372.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Najati A: Hyers-Ulam stability of an n-apollonius type quadratic mapping. Bulletin of the Belgian Mathematical Society—Simon Stevin 2007,14(4):755-774.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Najati A, Park C: Hyers-Ulam-Rassias stability of homomorphisms in quasi-Banach algebras associated to the Pexiderized Cauchy functional equation. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007,335(2):763-778. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2007.02.009MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Najati A, Park C:The Pexiderized Apollonius-Jensen type additive mapping and isomorphisms between -algebras. Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 2008,14(5):459-479. 10.1080/10236190701466546MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Park C-G: On the stability of the linear mapping in Banach modules. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2002,275(2):711-720. 10.1016/S0022-247X(02)00386-4MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: On a modified Hyers-Ulam sequence. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1991,158(1):106-113. 10.1016/0022-247X(91)90270-AMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: On the stability of functional equations and a problem of Ulam. Acta Applicandae Mathematicae 2000, 62: 23-130. 10.1023/A:1006499223572MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: On the stability of functional equations in Banach spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2000,251(1):264-284. 10.1006/jmaa.2000.7046MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Aczél J, Dhombres J: Functional Equations in Several Variables. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK; 1989.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Czerwik S: Functional Equations and Inequalities in Several Variables. World Scientific, River Edge, NJ, USA; 2002.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH, Isac G, Rassias ThM: Stability of Functional Equations in Several Variables. Birkhäuser, Basel, Switzerland; 1998.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jung S: Hyers-Ulam-Rassias Stability of Functional Equations in Mathematical Analysis. Hadronic Press, Palm Harbor, Fla, USA; 2001.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: Functional Equations, Inequalities and Applications. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; 2003.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kadison RV, Pedersen G: Means and convex combinations of unitary operators. Mathematica Scandinavica 1985, 57: 249-266.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jung S-MO: Hyers-ulam-rassias stability of jensen's equation and its application. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1998,126(11):3137-3143. 10.1090/S0002-9939-98-04680-2MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jung S, Moslehian MS, Sahoo PK: Stability of a generalized Jensen equation on restricted domains. http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0511320v1
- Skof F:Sull' approssimazione delle applicazioni localmente -additive. Atti della Accademia delle Scienze di Torino 1983, 117: 377-389.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH, Isac G, Rassias ThM: On the asymptoticity aspect of Hyers-Ulam stability of mappings. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1998,126(2):425-430. 10.1090/S0002-9939-98-04060-XMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Skof F: On the stability of functional equations on a restricted domain and a related topic. In Stabiliy of Mappings of Hyers-Ulam Type. Edited by: Rassias ThM, Tabor J. Hadronic Press, Palm Harbor, Fla, USA; 1994:41-151.Google Scholar
- Gajda Z: On stability of additive mappings. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 1991, 14: 431-434. 10.1155/S016117129100056XMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.