- Research Article
- Open Access
Reducibility and Stability Results for Linear System of Difference Equations
© A. Tiryaki and A. Misir. 2008
- Received: 8 August 2008
- Accepted: 29 October 2008
- Published: 10 November 2008
- Difference Equation
- Unit Disk
- Asymptotic Stability
- Matrix Function
- Stability Result
Stability properties of (1.1) can be deduced by considering the reduced form (1.5) under some additional conditions. In this study, we first give a theorem on the reducibility of (1.1) into the form of (1.5) and then obtain asymptotic stability of the zero solution of (1.1).
In this section, we give a theorem on the structure of the matrix , and provide an example for illustration. The results in this section are discrete analogues of the ones given in .
This problem is equivalent to solving (2.1). □
Consider the system
It turns out that to obtain a stability result, one needs take , a periodic matrix . Indeed, this allows using the Floquet theory for linear periodic system (1.7).
The zero solution of (1.1) is
From the literature, we know that if with is a fundamental matrix of (3.3), then there exists a constant matrix, whose eigenvalues are called the Floquet exponents, and periodic matrix with period N such that
The zero solution of (3.3) is
stable if and only if the Floquet exponents have modulus less than or equal to one; those with modulus of one are semisimple;
asymptotically stable if and only if all the Floquet exponents lie inside the unit disk.
In view of Theorems 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3, we obtain from Corollary 2.2 the following new stability criteria for (1.1).
Consider the system
The authors would like to thank to Professor Ağacık Zafer for his valuable contributions to Section 3.
- Tiryaki A:On the equation . Mathematica Japonica 1988, 33(3):469-473.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Rodriguez J, Etheridge DL: Periodic solutions of nonlinear second-order difference equations. Advances in Difference Equations 2005, 2005(2):173-192. 10.1155/ADE.2005.173MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Elaydi SN: An Introduction to Difference Equations, Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 1996:xiv+389.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kipnis M, Komissarova D: Stability of a delay difference system. Advances in Difference Equations 2006, 2006:-9.Google Scholar
- Lakshmikantham V, Trigiante D: Theory of Difference Equations: Numerical Methods and Application, Mathematics in Science and Engineering. Volume 181. Academic Press, Boston, Mass, USA; 1988:x+242.Google Scholar
- Elaydi SN, Harris WA Jr.:On the computation of . SIAM Review 1998, 40(4):965-971. 10.1137/S0036144597319235MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Zafer A: Calculating the matrix exponential of a constant matrix on time scales. Applied Mathematics Letters 2008, 21(6):612-616. 10.1016/j.aml.2007.06.006MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.