Multiple Positive Solutions for Nonlinear First-Order Impulsive Dynamic Equations on Time Scales with Parameter
© D.-B.Wang and W.Guan. 2009
Received: 13 February 2009
Accepted: 14 May 2009
Published: 22 June 2009
By using the Leggett-Williams fixed point theorem, the existence of three positive solutions to a class of nonlinear first-order periodic boundary value problems of impulsive dynamic equations on time scales with parameter are obtained. An example is given to illustrate the main results in this paper.
Let be a time scale, that is, is a nonempty closed subset of . Let be fixed and be points in , an interval denoting time scales interval, that is, Other types of intervals are defined similarly. Some definitions concerning time scales can be found in [1–5].
where is a time scale which has at least finitely-many right-dense points, is regressive and right-dense continuous, is given function, . The paper  obtained the existence of one solution to problem (1.2) by using the nonlinear alternative of Leray-Schauder type.
They proved the existence of one solution to the problem (1.3) by applying Schaefer's fixed point theorem and the nonlinear alternative of Leray-Schauder type.
In , Li and Shen studied the problem (1.3). Some existence results to problem (1.3) are established by using a fixed point theorem, which is due to Krasnoselskii and Zabreiko, and the Leggett-Williams fixed point theorem.
In , the first author studied the problem (1.1) when . The existence of positive solutions to the problem (1.1) was obtained by means of the well-known Guo-Krasnoselskii fixed point theorem.
Motivated by the results mentioned above, in this paper, we shall show that the problem (1.1) has at least three positive solutions for suitable by using the Leggett-Williams fixed point theorem . We note that for the case and problem (1.1) reduces to the problem studied by .
In the remainder of this section, we state the following theorem, which are crucial to our proof.
Theorem 1.1 (see ).
Since the method is similar to that of in [27, Lemma 3.1], we omit it here.
It is obvious, so we omit it here.
By [27, Lemmas 3.3 and 3.4], it is easy to see that is completely continuous.
3. Main Result
The authors express their gratitude to the anonymous referee for his/her valuable suggestions.
- Agarwal RP, Bohner M: Basic calculus on time scales and some of its applications. Results in Mathematics 1999,35(1-2):3-22.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterson A: Dynamic Equations on Time Scales: An Introduction with Applications. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2001:x+358.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bohner M, Peterson A (Eds): Advances in Dynamic Equations on Time Scales. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 2003:xii+348.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Hilger S: Analysis on measure chains-a unified approach to continuous and discrete calculus. Results in Mathematics 1990,18(1-2):18-56.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Lakshmikantham V, Sivasundaram S, Kaymakcalan B: Dynamic Systems on Measure Chains, Mathematics and Its Applications. Volume 370. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; 1996:x+285.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Baĭnov DD, Simeonov PS: Systems with Impulse Effect: Stability, Theory and Applications, Ellis Horwood Series: Mathematics and Its Applications. Ellis Horwood, Chichester, UK; 1989:255.Google Scholar
- Bainov DD, Simeonov PS: Impulsive Differential Equations: Periodic Solutions and Applications. Longman Scientific and Technical, Harlow, UK; 1993.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Lakshmikantham V, Baĭnov DD, Simeonov PS: Theory of Impulsive Differential Equations, Series in Modern Applied Mathematics. Volume 6. World Scientific, Teaneck, NJ, USA; 1989:xii+273.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Agarwal RP, O'Regan D: Multiple nonnegative solutions for second order impulsive differential equations. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2000,114(1):51-59. 10.1016/S0096-3003(99)00074-0MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- He Z, Yu J: Periodic boundary value problem for first-order impulsive functional differential equations. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 2002,138(2):205-217. 10.1016/S0377-0427(01)00381-8MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- He Z, Zhang X: Monotone iterative technique for first order impulsive difference equations with periodic boundary conditions. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2004,156(3):605-620. 10.1016/j.amc.2003.08.013MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li J-L, Shen J-H: Existence of positive periodic solutions to a class of functional differential equations with impulses. Mathematica Applicata 2004,17(3):456-463.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li J, Nieto JJ, Shen J: Impulsive periodic boundary value problems of first-order differential equations. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007,325(1):226-236. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2005.04.005MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li J, Shen J: Positive solutions for first order difference equations with impulses. International Journal of Difference Equations 2006,1(2):225-239.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li Y, Fan X, Zhao L: Positive periodic solutions of functional differential equations with impulses and a parameter. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2008,56(10):2556-2560. 10.1016/j.camwa.2008.05.007MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Nieto JJ: Basic theory for nonresonance impulsive periodic problems of first order. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1997,205(2):423-433. 10.1006/jmaa.1997.5207MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Nieto JJ: Impulsive resonance periodic problems of first order. Applied Mathematics Letters 2002,15(4):489-493. 10.1016/S0893-9659(01)00163-XMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Nieto JJ: Periodic boundary value problems for first-order impulsive ordinary differential equations. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2002,51(7):1223-1232. 10.1016/S0362-546X(01)00889-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Vatsala AS, Sun Y: Periodic boundary value problems of impulsive differential equations. Applicable Analysis 1992,44(3-4):145-158. 10.1080/00036819208840074MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Belarbi A, Benchohra M, Ouahab A: Existence results for impulsive dynamic inclusions on time scales. Electronic Journal of Qualitative Theory of Differential Equations 2005,2005(12):1-22.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Benchohra M, Henderson J, Ntouyas SK, Ouahab A: On first order impulsive dynamic equations on time scales. Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 2004,10(6):541-548. 10.1080/10236190410001667986MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Benchohra M, Ntouyas SK, Ouahab A: Existence results for second order boundary value problem of impulsive dynamic equations on time scales. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004,296(1):65-73. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.02.057MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Geng F, Xu Y, Zhu D: Periodic boundary value problems for first-order impulsive dynamic equations on time scales. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2008,69(11):4074-4087. 10.1016/j.na.2007.10.038MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Graef JR, Ouahab A: Extremal solutions for nonresonance impulsive functional dynamic equations on time scales. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2008,196(1):333-339. 10.1016/j.amc.2007.05.056MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Henderson J: Double solutions of impulsive dynamic boundary value problems on a time scale. Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 2002,8(4):345-356. 10.1080/1026190290017405MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li J, Shen J: Existence results for second-order impulsive boundary value problems on time scales. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,70(4):1648-1655. 10.1016/j.na.2008.02.047MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wang D-B: Positive solutions for nonlinear first-order periodic boundary value problems of impulsive dynamic equations on time scales. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2008,56(6):1496-1504. 10.1016/j.camwa.2008.02.038MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun J-P, Li W-T: Positive solutions to nonlinear first-order PBVPs with parameter on time scales. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,70(3):1133-1145. 10.1016/j.na.2008.02.007MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Leggett RW, Williams LR: Multiple positive fixed points of nonlinear operators on ordered Banach spaces. Indiana University Mathematics Journal 1979,28(4):673-688. 10.1512/iumj.1979.28.28046MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun J-P, Li W-T: Existence and multiplicity of positive solutions to nonlinear first-order PBVPs on time scales. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2007,54(6):861-871. 10.1016/j.camwa.2007.03.009MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.